Wednesday 3 October 2012

Graham Rice's firey forests

Graham Rice has been working on a series of glowing and lustrous forest paintings. He says: "I've always painted, I need to paint... Sometimes I simply want to experience the joy of making a piece of art, the solving of the puzzle as you fit all the elements together. Other times I need to express an emotion, or tell a story, I need to get a idea out into the big wide world, I need to make something that will touch people.

"With these pieces I wanted to explore the complexities of relationships, being apart and together. I wanted the specifics of these relationships to be as layered as possible, to allow the viewer to project their own experiences and dreams onto each piece, to step into their own forest.
"The paintings developed through a variety of different stages. Starting with an application of folded tissue paper followed by a loose layer of paint, this is where the bones of the painting begin to form as I find the features I want to build upon. I'll then start to glaze on several layers of paint, some simply rubbed on with fingers, others carefully painted to define the characters or creatures within a composition. Once that's complete the first layer of resin is applied, this forms a very hard and shiny surface which is then painted over further, primarily to add the more abstract foreground elements. A final layer of resin and a polish complete the painting and give the colours their deep lustre."

No comments:

Post a Comment