Monday 19 November 2012

Autumn fox

Jane Tomlinson has been busy covering canvases in preparation for the Eynsham Winter Artweekend and has just finished her latest.

She says: "I have been observing this autumn more closely than ever before: the conkers, the pine cones, the birds arriving from Scandinavia, and of course, the unmissable change in the trees from green to red, yellow and orange and finally leafless. These observations, together with a few trips to the RSPB bird reserve at Otmoor, inspired me to attempt a landscape almost without any green.

Here it is, Autumn fox:
‘Autumn fox’ - by Jane Tomlinson – acrylic on canvas – 999mm x 405mm – £400
"In it you can see a small deceit of lapwings flying in to roost as the day turns to night.

"Three greylag geese rest in a muddy field near the riverbank.


"The stalks and dried seed heads of umbelliferous plants (wild, carrot, cow parsley, angelica and the like) have intrigued me hugely this year and so these feature prominently. I have also been hugely impressed this year with the crop of bulrushes. Perhaps this is one species to benefit from this year’s deluge?

"I’d like to tell you how I have tried to imbue the whole painting with a sense of the beauty of continuity and flow of the natural world, and something about the inter-connectedness and balance of nature. But I don’t have the words to describe this, which I why I tried to paint it instead. I hope you like it."

Autumn fox will be on show during the Eynsham Winter Artweekend at 18 Newland Close, Eynsham, OX29 4LE.